Friday, January 8, 2010

Reflect on '09 & Look ahead in '10

Most everyone sets goals & New Year's resolutions, but the percentage who stick to it is very small. According to recent research roughly 40-45% of Americans make New Year's resolutions but less than half will actually follow through. Why do so many people set themselves up to fail?

The answer is simple:
A) They never made the decision to change
B) Their goals were not planned out properly

Goal setting is something that takes time and requires a quiet place where you can get away from distractions. When I ask people what their goals are for the New Year I sometimes get responses like, "Lose weight" "Make more money" --> these cannot be obtained, they're not specific enough. How much weight do you want to lose? How do you intend to lose it? How much money do you want to make? Is it possible in your current position? How can you get a promotion? Here's how you can start:

1. Go to a place that is quiet (No TV, No cell phone, NO DISTRACTIONS) a place where you can be alone and focus

2. Write down your 3 Month Goals, in 3 categories - Physical, Personal, Professional & Be Specific!!!

3. Set up a plan on how you can work to achieve these Example: If my goal is to lose 5lbs I have to look at my schedule and determine what my workout regimen will look like & schedule my workouts. I also have to plan out my food, clean out my kitchen, etc.

*Goal Setting isn't something that is done in minutes by scratching something out on notebook paper, it takes time to do this right. Goal Setting should take you at least one hour if not more

4. MAKE THE DECISION - you have to consciously make the decision to change and work toward your goals, if not, you will never set the necessary changes in motion

5. Look at your goals EVERY DAY - and determine what you did that day to work toward achieving your goals

Carey Kepler is talking to all of the I Am CrossFit clients about goal setting tonight at the kick off meeting - she is a phenomenal goal setting coach, I'm super excited to hear her speak!

Pictured Above: Deacon reflects on 2009!

No comments: