Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My 1st Roller Derby Experience

I found myself sitting on the cold white tiled floor staring up as the Roller Derby Women as they flew past me complete with elbow pads, knee pads, and a helmet. I leaned over to Mel (AKA Melicious & CrossFit Central Boot Camper) "So are they going to push each other around or what?" "I mean can you get hurt doing this sort of thing?" "Well, yeah" she replied "But ya get used to falling down" I started to rethink my position on the floor - the only thing that stood between me and a roller skate in my face was a ring of padding that looked more like a gymnastics tool than protection. Soon the MC had the crowd roaring and cheering on their favorite roller derby team. Within seconds I found myself completely absorbed in the action! I was yelling as the jammer (one who scores the points) whizzed by. A few elbows were thrown, but nothing uncalled for ;) The girls were decked out in their teams gear, which showed off the personality of the team. I had no idea what to expect from the Roller Derby Match - but I left wanting to sign up with these hard core, beautiful, fun women! CrossFit Roller Derby anyone?

Check out Mel's Book: Totally True Tales from the Track

No comments: