Monday, June 8, 2009

The Murph

Murph is one of the toughest workouts I have ever taken on. The Murph is a fundraiser event created to raise money for the The Naval Special Warfare Foundation (NSWF) in honor of Navy Seal, Michael Murphy's service & life. Michael was killed in the line of duty and awarded the medal of honor (see video below) this was his favorite workout.

There were three levels of Murph this weekend at CrossFit Austin

Level 1: as prescribed
Level 2: jumping pull ups & real push ups
Level 3: jumping pull ups & push ups on your knees

I took on Level 2 and made sure I did strict push ups -- on my toes, chest to the ground. It took longer but was well worth it!
The workout:
1 Mile
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squat
1 Mile
You could break it up any way you wanted, so in between the mile runs I chose to do 5-10-15 of pull ups, push ups, and squats -- 20 Rounds.

This was my experience:
Rounds 1-8: Steady as we go.....think of the soldiers....push harder....
Round 9: Oh my God, I'm only on Round 9....I can barely breathe....What did I eat for dinner last night....How much water did I have this AM....Why did I think it was okay to have a Modelo with dinner....I'm so dizzy....I've never sweat this much in a morning workout.....
Round 10: GET IT TOGETHER
Round 10-12: The soldiers...fight fight fight fight fight fight fight
Round 13: Have to stop Counting up to 20...need to count down
Rounds 7-1: Almost there...you can do this...finish it...fight fight fight fight fight fight
Last 1 mile Run: Feel awesome....nice breeze....grateful to be alive and have the opportunity to do things like this
TIME!!!!!


My first Murph took me a little over 53 minutes - doesn't even come close to what our troops endure on a daily basis. So grateful for all soldiers, in every branch of the military.
Zac & I after I was able to stand again...swear my hair didn't look like that when we arrived ;)


CrossFit Austin put on an awesome event! Can't wait for next year!

No comments: